Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Reids Supermarket

Anyone beside me notice the changes at Reids? (Anyone besides me shop at Reids?)

Reids is a working class grocery on Preston Ave, halfway between UVa and Downtown. Mostly African-American patrons. Has always had the basics, a little overpriced, and a butcher. A strong sense of neighborhood and community, a friendly place.

Now - in the last year - decent wines, organic produce (limited), mission home baked goods. Cilantro. Local apples.

A good place to go if your menu is straightforward and you dont feel like going to Barracks Road.

What they need is better lettuce and fresh fish.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I love Reids, I want to shop there more. Guiding two children through that parking lot is inviting an accident- I would want a better parking lot (meaning easier to park not soo many blind corners) and of course a slightly cleaner store (if it were too clean it may lose some good customers). :)

8:56 PM  
Blogger Rochelle said...

Reid's is the best kept secret in Cville -- thanks to may neighbor I was introduced soon after I moved here. Great character, awesome price on local apples, pretty good produce though small section. I also found ham hock which I couldn't find anywhere when I lived in DC this summer. They have my favorite brand of yogurt, Axelrod and it's comparable in price to Dannon, probably better. They also have delicious homemade local preserves at the back of the store -- the strawberry rhubarb was a big hit at my house. I do wish they they had real maple syrup and honey. They had wonderful stone ground flour this summer, but they either don't carry it any more or were out last time I was in. The lettuce does need some work. Over all I can get my weeks worth of groceries and stay on my grad-school budget.

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home