Saturday, March 18, 2006

Why blog?

After being elected to council almost 2 years ago, I started to occasionally read Waldo Jacquith's cvillenews. After a while I realized he had another blog, which is a great place to learn some things about Virginia politics. Then I found his blog compiler, which I enjoy as a way to see what people in our city are thinking and writing.

Being on City Council, and especially being Mayor, gives me a chance to see and learn about Charlottesville in ways that I would like to share. There is a lot happening that I would like others to know about. I thought a blog might be a good way to communicate.

For example, in the last few weeks I have had lunch with a dozen UVa students who were spending their spring break volunteering with Abundent Life Ministries, in low-income Charlottesville; gone to an incredible exhibition of photos and painting at Jefferson School documenting the vibrant Vinegar Hill neighborhood that used to exist where Staples and the Omni are now; and last night went to a fabulous production of 12th Night at CHS.

So thanks, Waldo. If my blog seems a bit ragged, well after all I am 51.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

Mayor
Welcome to the mayoral blogging universe, not many of us out here!
Mayor Gentes

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home